Soy Sauce Substitute
Our Test Kitchen developed this alternative to store-bought soy sauce. Its color and flavor will make you think it’s the real thing. But it's lower in sodium than both regular soy sauce and the low-sodium variety.
32 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 5 min.
- 3 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- Dash pepper
- In a small bowl, dissolve bouillon in boiling water. Stir in the
- remaining ingredients. Pour into a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Store in the refrigerator. Shake well before using. Yield: about 2
Nutrition Facts: 1 tablespoon equals 11 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.