Southwestern Squash Soup
This recipe is the perfect soup for a cool winter night. To spice things up even more, add one finely-chopped canned chipotle pepper before you puree the soup.David Collin, Martinez, California
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1-1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Cayenne pepper to taste, optional
- Ground nutmeg and sprigs of fresh cilantro, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add cumin
- and coriander; toss to coat. Add sweet potatoes, squash, broth, salt
- and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20
- minutes. Cool slightly. puree in small batches in a blender until
- smooth; return all to the pan. Add cream; heat through. If desired,
- season with cayenne pepper and garnish with nutmeg and cilantro.
- Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 128 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 829 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.