Southwestern Savory Muffins
When I was first married, I found a muffin recipe that called for bacon. I modified it through the years and came up with this recipe. It's become a favorite breakfast treat for my husband and me. He grew up in northern New Mexico and thinks most foods benefit from the addition of green chilies.
14 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 10 Wright® Brand Bacon strips
Make summer recipes special with fresh, thick slices of Wright® Brand Bacon.
See More Recipes >
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup diced green chilies
- In a skillet, cook the bacon until crisp; reserve 1/3 cup drippings.
- Crumble bacon and set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar
- and baking powder. In a bowl, beat milk, egg and drippings; stir
- into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the cheese,
- chilies and bacon. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups
- three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until
- golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 14 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 226 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 298 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.