Southwestern Lentil Salad
"Cumin goes so well with the beans in this salad," conveys field editor Denise Baumert of Dalhart, Texas.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups cooked lentils
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a jar with
- tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients and shake well.
- Pour over vegetables and toss. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2
- hours. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 330 calories, 23 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 243 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 9 g protein.