Southwest Beef Strips
This filling main dish from the Test Kitchen gets its zip from Mexican seasoning. Its colorful presentation is matched by its colorful flavors.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 3 tablespoons picante sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked fettuccine, optional
- In a large skillet, stir-fry the beef, onion, red pepper, taco
- seasoning, salt and pepper in oil until meat is no longer pink. Stir
- in the beans, corn, picante sauce and cilantro; heat through. Serve
- with fettuccine if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/3 cups (calculated without fettuccine) equals 300 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 788 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.