Southwest Barley Salad
With black beans, corn, peppers and onions, this tasty barley dish is a filling accompaniment to any entree. Plus, the salad can be served warm or cold.Lois Taylor, Russellville, Alabama
6 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 45 + cooling
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- In a saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, beans, peppers, onions, cilantro
- and garlic. Stir in barley.
- Just before serving, combine the salsa, sour cream and lime juice;
- add to barley mixture. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 184 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 687 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 7 g protein.