Southern Shrimp & Grits
“This is just an old Southern stick-to-your-ribs dinner combining fresh shrimp, a medley of peppers, onion and creamy cheese grits. It’s great served with corn bread and sliced tomatoes.” —Melissa Birdsong, Gilbert, South Carolina
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen pepper strips, thawed
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 uncooked jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Slowly stir in grits.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and pepper strips in oil
- until crisp-tender. Add the shrimp, parsley and lemon juice; saute
- 3-4 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink.
- Stir cheese and sour cream into grits; serve with shrimp mixture.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup shrimp mixture with 3/4 cup grits equals 448 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 146 mg cholesterol, 899 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 25 g protein.