Southern Fried Chicken
This recipe was a happy accident, reveals Patricia Gowen of Amherst, Virginia. "I discovered at the last minute that I didn't have enough all-purpose flour for coating the chicken, so I used pancake mix instead," she smiles. "It did taste differentbut everyone at our house liked it."
4-6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- Oil for frying
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the pancake mix, salt,
- pepper and paprika. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time; shake to
- Heat 2 in. of oil in an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer to
- 375°. Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time for 6 minutes on each
- side or until golden brown and juices run clear. Yield: 4-6
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.