South Dakota Meat Loaf
I've made other meat loaves, but I always come back to this one, which is based on my mom's recipe.Lauree Buus, Rapid City, South Dakota
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour 25 min.
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef
- over mixture and mix well. Press into an ungreased 8-in. x 4-in.
- loaf pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours; drain.
- Drizzle with ketchup; bake 10 minutes longer or until meat is no
- longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6
Nutrition Facts: One serving (prepared with fat-free evaporated milk and lean ground beef) equals 272 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 683 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 starch.