- the starter, applesauce, cloves, cinnamon and allspice. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, blend salt, baking soda and sugar. Sprinkle over
- batter; stir in gently. Add flour; stir until smooth. Add nuts and
- raisins; stir well. Pour into two greased-and-floured 9-in. round
- baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, combine butter, sugar and egg yolk. Add flavoring; set
- aside. Beat cream with 1 teaspoon sugar; fold into icing. Frost
- cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 633 calories, 31 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 108 mg cholesterol, 625 mg sodium, 86 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.