Sour Cherry Pie
Sour cherries sweeten up nicely in this dessert prepared by Claudia Youmans of Virginia Beach, Virginia. "It's easy," she assure. "I'm a teacher an a Navy wife, so simplicity and quickness are both mealtime musts at our house."
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 4 cups pitted dark sweet cherries
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- Star cookie cutters (1/2 inch and 2 inches)
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt; stir in
- cherries. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Cook and stir cherry mixture over medium heat until mixture boils and
- starts to thicken.
- Pour into jars or freezer containers, leaving 1/2-in. headspace.
- Cool. Cover with lids; refrigerate or freeze. Yield: 3 cups filling
- for one pie.
- To make pie: Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; add filling.
- (If filling is frozen, thaw in the refrigerator overnight.) Flute
- edges of pastry. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until crust is
- golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges during the last 20
- minutes to prevent overbrowning.
- Meanwhile, cut remaining pastry into 12-14 large stars and 16-18