Soup for Two
This comforting and colorful soup from field editor Margery Bryan of Royal City, Washington is loaded with old-fashioned goodness. The flavorful broth is chock-full of veggies, chicken and macaroni. "By changing the vegetables, you can make it different every time," Margery notes.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2/3 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup cauliflowerets
- 1/2 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup torn fresh spinach
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Seasoned salad croutons, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and carrot in butter for 4 minutes
- or until crisp-tender. Stir in the broth, chicken, cauliflower,
- beans and macaroni. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until macaroni and
- vegetables are tender. Add spinach and pepper; cook and stir until
- spinach is wilted. Garnish with croutons if desired. Yield: 2
Nutrition Facts: One 1-1/2 cup serving (calculated without croutons) equals 263 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 888 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber,