My family and friends like a nice pick-me-up dessert after a big holiday meal. These feather-light morsels fit the bill perfectly. To make a double batch, or to make them easier to ship, skip the Nutella and dust with cocoa instead. — Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for
- 30 minutes.
- Add vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after
- each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff
- glossy peaks form. Fold in confectioners' sugar.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a
- food-safe plastic bag; insert a #96 star tip. Transfer meringue to
- the bag. Pipe 1-1/2-in.-diameter cookies 2 in. apart onto parchment
- paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 225° for 45-50 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn
- oven off (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2
- hours. Remove from the oven; cool completely on baking sheets.
- Remove meringues from paper. Spread Nutella on the bottoms of half of
- the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. Store in airtight