Smoky Grilled Chicken
Instant coffee is the "secret" ingredient in this sweet and spicy sauce. Don't be surprised when folks tell you this is the best chicken they've ever had!
4 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Grill: 45 min.
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 bottles (14 ounces each) ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), quartered
- In a large bowl, dissolve sugar, mustard and coffee in hot water.
- Stir in ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke if desired.
- Reserve 1 cup for basting; refrigerate remaining sauce for another
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs,
- lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat, for
- 30 minutes, turning and basing with sauce frequently. Grill,
- covered, 15 minutes longer, turning and basting occasionally or
- until juices run clear. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (14 ounces) equals 516 calories, 25 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 153 mg cholesterol, 744 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 50 g protein.