Smoky Corn Muffins
Marg Ogden of Palmerton, Pennsylvania jazzes up corn bread mix with salsa, corn, cheese and liquid smoke to create these spicy muffins. The moist morsels are an ideal accompaniment to chili or a Southwestern supper.
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 drop Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In bowl, beat egg. Add salsa, milk and liquid smoke; mix well. stir
- in corn bread mix just until moistened. Fold in corn and cheese.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for
- 20-23 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before
- removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 muffin (prepared with fat-free milk and reduced-fat cheddar cheese) equals 121 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 308 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.