Smoked Sausage and Potato Soup
"Whenever I serve this thick stew-like soup to new friends, they never fail to ask for the recipe," reports Marge Wheeler of San Benito, Texas. Each satisfying bowl is chock-full of tasty smoked sausage, hash browns, green beans, carrots and more.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 3 small carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound smoked sausage, halved and thinly sliced
- 2-1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first 10 ingredients. bring to a boil.
- reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables
- are tender.
- Stir in sausage and hash browns. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
- and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 167 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 853 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.