Smoked Sausage Stir-Fry
For Sandi Towne of Sauk Village, Illinois, a dish needs to look as good as it tastes. "Appearance is important," she contends. "This eye-catching stir-fry is a prime example. The colorful peppers and tomatoes contrast nicely with the sausage, and the whole thing is delicious!"
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound fully cooked smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup julienned green pepper
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- In a nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry sausage in oil over medium
- heat until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add the peppers, onion
- and seasonings. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the
- vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Add the
- tomatoes; cook 1 minute longer. Serve over rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (3/4 cup sausage mixture with 1 cup rice) equals 421 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 981 mg sodium, 64 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch,