Smoked Beef Brisket
Dana Cebolski of Bessemer, Michigan gives a sensational smoky taste to tender slices of this slow-cooked beef brisket. "It's one of my family's favorites any time of the year," she notes.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 fresh beef brisket (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Place beef in a 3-qt. slow cooker; rub with Liquid Smoke if desired.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with onion. Combine the ketchup,
- mustard and celery seed; spread over meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Remove
- and keep warm.
- Transfer cooking juices to a blender; cover and process until smooth.
- Serve with brisket, thinly sliced across the grain. Yield: 6
Nutrition Facts: 5 ounces equals 266 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 750 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 39 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1/2 starch.