Seasoned with oregano and cheese, Martha Chayet's tomatoes take on a wonderfully intense flavor as they roast in the oven. "Serve these warm as a side dish," she suggests from her home in Manchester-by-the Sea, Massachusetts. "They are very nice with grilled chicken. This dish is good year-round-even in winter, when tomatoes aren't at their best."
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 2 hours
- 16 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place tomatoes, cut side up, on baking sheets coated with cooking
- spray. Sprinkle with cheese, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper;
- drizzle with oil. Bake at 250° for 2 hours.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (4 halves) equals 72 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 363 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.