Slow Cooking Spaghetti Sauce
This sauce gets a convenient head start from prepared spaghetti sauce. I simply add a few everyday ingredients of my own. Most folks think it's homemade.
4-6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1 pound bulk Johnsonville® Ground Sausage
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 3-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown sausage and cayenne for about 5
- minutes. Add enough water to cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain; transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. Add onion and green
- pepper. Pour spaghetti sauce on top. Cover and cook on high for 1
- hour. Reduce heat to low and cook 2-3 hours longer. Serve over
- spaghetti. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 241 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 1,018 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.