Slow-Cooker Vegetable Soup
What a treat to come home from work and have this savory soup ready to eat. It's a nice traditional beef soup with old-fashioned goodness. We pair it with crusty rolls topped with melted mozzarella cheese.
Heather Thurmeier, Pense, Saskatchewan
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and
- cook on high for 6-8 hours. Add the mixed vegetables; cover and cook
- 2 hours longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 8-10
- servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup (prepared without salt) equals 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable; also, 143 calories, 464 mg sodium, 31 mg cholesterol, 15 mg carbohydrate, 13 gm protein, 3 gm fat.