Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken
Prepared salsa and convenient canned corn and beans add fun color, texture and flavor to Karen Water's tender chicken dish. "I usually serve it with salad and white rice," suggests the Laurel, Maryland cook. "Our children love it."
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky salsa, divided
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the corn, black beans and 1/2 cup of
- salsa. Top with chicken; pour the remaining salsa over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Sprinkle
- with cheese. Cover and cook 5 minutes longer or until cheese is
- melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 220 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 805 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.