I love the fresh taste of homemade salsa, but as a working mother, I don't have much time to make it. So I came up with this slow-cooked version that practically makes itself! —Toni Menard, Lompoc, California
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours + cooling
- 10 plum tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Core tomatoes. Cut a small slit in two tomatoes; insert a garlic
- clove into each slit. Place tomatoes and onion in a 3-qt. slow
- Cut stems off jalapenos; remove seeds if a milder salsa is desired.
- Place jalapenos in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until vegetables are
- softened (some may brown slightly); cool.
- In a blender, combine the tomato mixture, cilantro and salt if
- desired; cover and process until blended. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Yield: about 2 cups.
Nutrition Facts: One 1/4-cup serving (prepared without salt) equals 24 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 9 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable.