Skillet Steak and Corn
This main dish combines canned vegetables and meat in a savory sauce. Cut into thin strips, the steak cooks quickly. When your family eats in shifts, skillet dishes like this are a breeze to warm up. Poultry lovers can substitute chicken for the beef.Ruth Taylor, Greeneville, Tennessee
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound boneless beef top round steak, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup red wine or beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (11 ounces each) Mexicorn, drained
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet cook the steak, onion and thyme over medium-high
- heat in oil until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add wine; simmer,
- uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated. Stir
- in tomatoes; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer. Add corn and heat
- through. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (prepared with low-sodium broth and no-salt-added tomatoes, calculated with out rice) equals 386 calories, 975 mg sodium, 70 mg cholesterol, 36 gm carbohydrate, 32 gm protein, 12 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.