This recipe is called "Skier's Stew" because you put it in the oven…and head for the slopes! It looks after itself for 5 hours. I like to prepare it two or three times a month in the fall and winter. When I come home after a busy day and get in out of the cold, a good hot dinner is waiting for me! — Traci Gangwer, Denver, Colorado
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- In a large skillet, brown meat in batches in oil; drain. Transfer to
- a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with vegetables. Combine the tomato sauce,
- water and soup mix; pour over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until meat and
- vegetables are tender. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 430 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 637 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.