- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and Gjetost cheese until
- blended. Shape into ten 1-in. balls; flatten into 1-1/2-in. patties.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and water. In another shallow bowl,
- combine the cornmeal, sesame seeds, bread crumbs and Parmesan
- cheese. Dip cheese in egg mixture, then cornmeal mixture. In a large
- skillet, cook cheese patties in butter in batches for 1-2 minutes on
- each side or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, arrange the salad greens, olives and tomatoes on a serving
- platter. Whisk the oils, vinegar, onions, mustard and seasonings;
- drizzle over salad. Place cheese patties over the top. Serve
- immediately with pita wedges if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Editor's Note: Gjetost is a soft, caramely Norwegian cheese. For a variation, substitute 1 cup shredded Parmesan and 1 teaspoon sugar.
Nutrition Facts: about 1 cup salad with 2 cheese patties (calculated without pita wedges) equals 418 calories, 36 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 104 mg cholesterol, 572 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.