Simple Spanish Rice
Emily Hockett, of Federal Way, Washington says, “I prefer this side dish to traditional recipes because it’s vegetarian and lower in fat. While you’re preparing the rest of your meal, it simmers on the stove, allowing the flavors to blend beautifully.”
6 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cook brown rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a
- large nonstick skillet, saute onion and pepper in butter until
- tender. Stir in tomatoes and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until slightly
- thickened. Stir in cooked rice; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup equals 183 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 390 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.