- the heat. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into
- egg yolks; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir
- over low heat 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; stir in the
- chocolate, Cognac and vanilla until chocolate is melted.
- Transfer to a clean bowl; press plastic wrap onto surface of filling.
- Cool filling to room temperature. Spoon into crust. Refrigerate,
- covered, until cold, about 4 hours.
- For topping, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken.
- Add Cognac and confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form.
- Spread over pie. Sprinkle with cocoa. Yield: 8 servings.
PASTRY FOR SINGLE-CRUST PIE (9 INCHES): Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/8 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-4 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece (calculated without grated chocolate) equals 579 calories, 39 g fat (24 g saturated fat), 211 mg cholesterol, 171 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.