Silk Purse Potatoes
Always a crowd-pleaser, Silk Purse Potatoes (As in “Can’t make a silk purse from a sow’s ear.”) have a delicious, creamy cheese sauce. I’ve taken this dish to many a potluck.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 6 slices process American cheese, cut into pieces
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in the flour,
- salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil;
- cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the
- heat; stir in the cheese until melted. Stir in the potatoes and
- Transfer to a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at
- 325° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 30-40 minutes longer or until
- potatoes are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 243 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 576 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.