Shrimp and Asparagus Penne
This pretty pasta main course has only a few ingredients, so it’s a breeze to whip up. “We used to prepare it with heavy cream, but I substituted half-and-half to cut fat, and it’s just as good,” writes Diane Shipley of Concord, Ohio.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large
- nonstick skillet, saute asparagus in butter for 4 minutes. Add
- shrimp; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Remove and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and cream until smooth;
- gradually add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2
- minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese.
- Remove from the heat. Drain pasta; toss with shrimp mixture and
- sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 2 cups equals 417 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 199 mg cholesterol, 580 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 32 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch,