Years ago, when we visited relatives on the eastern coast of North Carolina, they served this dish. I asked for the recipe and it became one of our favorite meals.
-Edna Boothe, Richmond, Virginia
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- In a skillet, saute the green pepper, onion, celery and garlic in oil
- until tender. Add the tomato sauce, oregano and bay leaf. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp; cook 3 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf. Serve
- over rice. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 228 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 172 mg cholesterol, 1,163 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.