In Gretna, Louisiana, Will Zunino simmers this rich and creamy creation in his slow cooker. Because the chowder is ready in less than 4 hours, it can be prepared in the afternoon and served to dinner guests that night.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (7 ounces) white or shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds peeled and deveined cooked small shrimp
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. In a 5-qt.
- slow cooker, combine the onion, milk, soups, corn, Creole seasoning
- and garlic powder.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours. Stir in shrimp and cream cheese.
- Cook 30 minutes longer or until shrimp are heated through and cheese
- is melted. Stir to blend. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 202 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 169 mg cholesterol, 745 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein.