Shredded Venison Sandwiches
"My husband hunts for deer every November, so I'm always looking for new recipes for venison," relates Ruth Setterlund from Fryeburg, Maine. "The whole family loves these slow cooker sandwiches, seasoned with soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup and hot pepper sauce."
14-18 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless venison roast (4 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, optional
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 14 to 18 hamburger buns, split
- Cut venison roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large
- bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, lemon juice, soy
- sauce, liquid smoke if desired and seasonings. Pour over venison.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks; return to
- slow cooker and heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place meat
- mixture on bun bottoms. Replace tops. Yield: 14-18 servings.