Shortcut Split Pea Soup
"Pair this soup with a simple tossed salad for a well-rounded, nourishing meal that's quick and easy."
Donna Noel, Gray, Maine
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 celery ribs and leaves
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cans (11-1/2 ounces each) condensed split pea soup, undiluted
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, bouillon granules and thyme to
- a boil. Thinly slice celery ribs and finely chop the leaves; set
- leaves aside.
- Add celery ribs and carrots to water mixture; simmer, uncovered, for
- 5-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in the soup, ham and celery
- leaves; heat through. Top each serving with cheese if desired.
- Yield: 5 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/3 cups (calculated without cheese) equals 249 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 1,502 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 16 g protein.