"Homemade goodness abounds in this recipe from my aunt," writes Pat Walter of Pine Island, Minnesota. "And there isn't any need to shape individual cakesjust cut squares out of the pan and top them with fruit."
9 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Sweetened raspberries or fruit of your choice
- Whipped cream
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt; cut in
- shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a bowl, whisk
- the egg and milk until well blended; add to dry ingredients. Stir
- with a fork just until moistened. Pat into a greased 9-in. square
- baking pan. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until golden
- brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Split each square
- horizontally and butter the cut sides. Top with berries and whipped
- cream. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 211 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 304 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.