I found this recipe in a magazine over 30 years ago and have made the cutouts for Christmas ever since. Four ingredients make them an oh-so-simple recipe to whip up during the hectic holidays.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Colored sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add flour and mix well. Divide dough in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion to 1/4-in.
- thickness. Cut with 2-in. to 3-in. floured cookie cutters.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored
- sugar if desired. Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes until lightly
- browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 261 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 155 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.