My sister-in-law always made this delicious breakfast dish when we were camping. Served with toast, juice and milk or coffee, it's a sure hit with the breakfast crowd! One-dish casseroles like this were a big help while I was raising my nine children...Now I've passed this recipe to them.
Pauletta Bushnell, Albany, Oregon
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound sliced bacon, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 10 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon
- is crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain,
- reserving 1/2 cup drippings. Add hash browns to drippings; mix well.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 10 minutes, turning when
- browned. Make 10 "wells" evenly spaced in hash browns. Place one egg
- in each well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with
- cheese if desired.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes or until eggs are set. Sprinkle
- with parsley; serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 239 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 225 mg cholesterol, 314 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein.