Scrambled Eggs with Chorizo
"This scrambled egg breakfast can also be served for lunch or dinner with a tossed salad or green vegetable such as steamed spinach," suggests Donna Ryan of Topsfield, Massachusetts. "You can replace the tortillas with taco chips, if you like."
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 ounces uncooked chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon diced seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons picante sauce
- Cut tortillas into quarters; place on a baking sheet coated with
- cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 3-5 minutes or until crisp.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter. Crumble
- chorizo into the pan; add jalapeno and garlic. Cook and stir over
- medium heat until meat is fully cooked; drain. Stir in tomatoes and
- Cajun seasoning.
- In another skillet, heat remaining butter until hot. Add eggs; cook
- and stir over medium heat until completely set. Divide scrambled
- eggs between two plates. Serve with chorizo mixture, tortillas and
- picante sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 586 calories, 39 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 493 mg cholesterol, 1,372 mg sodium,