Meet the Cook: Scottish settlers first came to this area over 150 years ago. My mother herself was Scottish, and - as with most of my favorite recipes - she passed this on to me. I make a triple batch of it each year at Christmas, to enjoy and as gifts.
When I entered Scottish Shortbread at our local fair, it won a red ribbon.
As long as we have been married - and that's 54 years - my hus
48 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min./batch
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add 3-3/4 cups flour and mix well. Turn onto a floured surface.
- Knead for 5 minutes, adding enough remaining flour to form a soft
- Roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut into 3-in. x 1-in. strips. Place 1 in.
- apart on ungreased baking sheets. Prick with fork. Bake at 325°
- for 20-25 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Yield:
- about 4 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 2 cookies equals 123 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 80 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.