Shortbread is a wonderful starting point for all kinds of sweet adventures: top it (nuts, chocolate, jam); flavor it (lemon, hazelnut, coconut); or do both (cappuccino with a mocha ganache drizzle, anyone?) Then again, if you're a "make mine vanilla, please" kind of guy or gal, leave it alone: it can stand on its own in perfect simplicity.Taste of Home Cooking School
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Melted caramels or chocolate, optional
- Chopped nuts, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, vanilla and almond extract if
- desired. Add flour, beat until a stiff dough forms. Divide dough in
- half. Press into two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Use a fork to
- prick the dough over the entire surface randomly or in a pattern.
- Bake at 300° for 35 minutes or until light golden brown around
- the edges. Immediately turn out onto a cutting surface. While warm,
- cut into 12 wedges using a sharp knife or pizza cutter. Transfer to
- a wire rack to cool completely. Serve plain or drizzle with melted
- caramel or chocolate and sprinkle with nuts if desired.
- Yield: 2 dozen.