Schreiner's Baked Lamb Shanks
This recipe has been on the menu for decades. I started working for Bernard Schreiner as a busboy 29 years ago, and baked lamb shanks were a favorite then, too. The recipe was passed down from his mother. We feature comfort foods made from scratch.Dale Grantman, Des Moines, Iowa
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 4 lamb shanks (14 to 16 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Mint jelly, optional
- Place the lamb shanks in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30
- minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce heat to 350°. Add broth
- to the pan. Combine onion, rosemary, garlic powder and mustard;
- sprinkle over lamb. Cover tightly and bake for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or
- until very tender. If desired, make gravy from pan drippings. Serve
- lamb with gravy and mint jelly if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 115 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 1,140 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or