This creamy and comforting side dish from Lucinda Walker of Somerset, Pennsylvania tastes great with almost any dish and is a snap to assemble with convenient frozen hash browns. Tip: "This is a good way to make potatoes when your oven is busy with other dishes,"Lucinda suggests.
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
- 1 package (2 pounds) frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, melted, divided
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup crushed cornflakes
- In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, soup, milk, cheese, 1/2 cup
- butter, onion, salt and pepper. Pour into a greased 5-qt. slow
- cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until potatoes are
- Just before serving, combine the cornflake crumbs and remaining
- butter in a pie plate. Bake at 350° for 4-6 minutes or until
- golden brown. Stir the potatoes; sprinkle with crumb topping. Yield:
- 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 234 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.