Scalloped Potatoes au Gratin
I FOUND I could cut down the time in preparing scalloped potatoes by first simmering them on top of the stove in an ovenproof skillet and then slipping it into the oven to finish them nicely with a brown crust.
2 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 2 large)
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Dash each salt, pepper and ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2/3 to 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/3 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- Place half of the potatoes in a greased small ovenproof skillet;
- sprinkle with 1 teaspoon flour. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with salt,
- pepper and nutmeg. Dot with butter.
- Add enough cream to fill skillet about three-fourths full. Bring to a
- boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for
- 15-20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Carefully place skillet in oven. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for
- 10-15 minutes or until bubbly and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with
- cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 353 calories, 17 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 301 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein.