This comforting casserole features sunny corn kernels tucked into a creamy custard. My mom got this recipe, and many other excellent ones from her mother. By the time this crowd-pleasing corn dish got around the table, my father, sister, brothers and I would have almost scraped it clean.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 4 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup crushed saltines (about 30 crackers), divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, eggs, milk, 3/4 cup cracker
- crumbs, butter, sugar, onion, salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased
- 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cracker crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1 hour or until a thermometer reads
- 160°. Yield: 6 servings.