My husband has never been too fond of chicken, but he certainly likes it prepared this way. My children love this dish, too, and they make it often in their own homes. For easy preparation, make everything but the topping a day ahead and then refrigerate it. Add the topping before baking.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1/2 loaf white bread, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups cracker crumbs, divided
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced mushroom, drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a bowl, combine bread cubes and 1 cup cracker crumbs. Stir in
- broth, eggs, salt, celery, onion, chicken and mushrooms. Spoon into
- a greased 2-qt. casserole. In a saucepan, melt butter; brown
- remaining cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake at 350°
- for 1 hour. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 314 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 131 mg cholesterol, 1,115 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein.