Scalloped Carrots Casserole
A cookbook my husband gave me as a wedding gift included this recipe-he remembers having the dish as a child at church dinners. Now I make it whenever I need a special vegetable side. It's rich and cheesy even after reheating.
4-6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 6 cups water
- 12 medium carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, cut into small cubes
- Place 1 in. of water in a large saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until
- crisp-tender. Drain.
- In another saucepan, saute onion in 1/4 cup butter. Stir in the
- flour, salt, mustard, celery salt and pepper until blended.
- Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- until thickened.
- In a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish, layer half of the carrots,
- cheese and white sauce. Repeat layers. Melt remaining butter; toss
- with bread cubes. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350°