Scalloped Basil Tomatoes
If your garden is flooded with tomatoes, be sure to try this scrumptious baked side dish from Edna Apostol of Savannah, Missouri, "It goes over big at family, church and club dinners," she assures. Cubes of French bread are combined with mildly seasoned tomatoes, then sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and bakes.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 16 plum tomatoes
- 2 cups cubed crustless French bread (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Peel tomatoes and cut into 1/2-in. cubes; drain. In a large nonstick
- skillet, cook bread in oil over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until
- lightly browned. Add the tomatoes, sugar and garlic; cook and stir
- for 5 minutes. Stir in the salt, pepper and basil.
- Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6
Nutrition Facts: One serving (2/3 cup) equals 103 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 325 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.