When I was a child, I loved eating at my grandma's house, especially when she baked this comforting apple dish. As a busy mother of seven, I'm often short on time, so I use the microwave to fix it quickly. My family enjoys its "apple pie" flavor with a meal or topped with ice cream for dessert.
-Sandy Daniels, Grandville, Michigan
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 10 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 8 medium)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Place apples in a 2-1/2-qt. microwave-safe bowl. Combine the sugar,
- cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over apples and toss to
- coat. Dot with butter. Cover and microwave on high for 11-12 minutes
- or until apples are tender, stirring every 5 minutes. Yield: 8
Nutrition Facts: One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with artificial sweetener equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar and reduced-fat margarine) equals 116 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 33 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit.