Scalloped Apples Casserole
When preparing my first Thanksgiving dinner years ago, I wanted to add something special to the table and came up with this recipe. It's been a part of our traditional dinner ever since.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 10 cups thinly sliced peeled Golden Delicious apples (about 8)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs (about 4 slices)
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, cinnamon and cloves.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Dot with 2
- tablespoons butter. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25 minutes or
- until apples are crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add bread
- crumbs; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until crispy and golden
- brown. Sprinkle over apple mixture.
- Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Serve warm.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 281 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 148 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein.