I FOUND this recipe in an old magazine. Later, I discovered that adding garlic gave these potatoes a unique flavor.
My greatest compliment came from a neighbor who's a retired chef - he said this is the most delicious potato dish he'd ever tasted!
-Leah Brandenburg, Charleston, West Virginia
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 thin onion slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- In a saucepan, stir flour and milk until smooth. Add the garlic,
- butter and salt; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- In a greased 1-qt. baking dish, layer onion and potato slices; pour
- sauce over all. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes; uncover
- and bake 20 minutes longer or until the potatoes are tender. Yield:
- 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 376 calories, 15 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 564 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 15 g protein.